This blog is all about me......I come here for respite in between caring for JoJo (our Daughter who has Special Needs)......I am addicted to starting new projects......I am becoming a fabric-a-holic... I love to try out recipes... take a beach walk and breathe in that salty blue air......love to have coffee...sip a glass of champagne......read a book......I am Queen of the Armchair and am inspired by all the wonderful blogs out there!!!

Monday, April 22, 2013

~Cooking with JoJo's Day Programme (1)...Quinoa~



Recently I went to JoJo's Day Programme and did a cooking class with the clients
Above is a pic of the Middle Eastern Bean Patties with Yogurt and Mint Sauce we all made


Here are Angie and Alan......very keen to have lunch
they sat at their places not long after we arrived and patiently waited!!!


Eddie was a very keen worker


Renae......one of the care workers on the day


and now posing with JoJo


The patties all lined up ready to go


Trying to do a 'cheffy' pose here whilst thinking how would Matt Moran do this LOL


From left to right here.......Alan, Adam, Angie, JoJo, Mieke and me
A very successful lunch and I'm back again tomorrow to do another one......this time a Chicken Laksa


Before trying this with the gang I did a practice run at home
The Patties are from Cooking with Quinoa by Rena Patten

Quinoa - pronounced keen-wah - is a grain, but not just any grain. It is considered to be almost a complete food. It is very high in protein, full of vitamins, gluten- and wheat-free, cholesterol-free and usually organic. And it is simply delicious. This title shows you many different ways to use quinoa.

We have just discovered quinoa in our house and love it
These patties have become a firm favourite with us!!!


Uncooked Patties


Cooking


Served with Broccoli and a simple salad

* R E C I P E*

Makes 8-10....you could even get 15 patties.......they are a really good size
Gluten Free, Vegetarian and for Dairy Free omit Yogurt

~ 1/2C quinoa grain, rinsed and drained
1C water
2 x 400g cans red kidney beans - rinsed and drained
3 cloves garlic, grated
4 shallots or spring onions, finely sliced
1t ground cumin
1/2 - 1t chilli powder
3T chopped coriander
1 egg
salt to taste
2T olive oil

YOGURT MINT SALSA

~1/2C Greek Yogurt
1T finely chopped mint
1t extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

METHOD

Place quinoa in small saucepan with the water.  Bring to boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer 10m until all water is absorbed.  Remove from heat and cool.

Coarsely mash kidney beans with fork or potato masher.  
Add cooked quinoa, garlic, shallots, cumin, chilli, coriander and egg.
Season with salt and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
Divide mixture into 8 or 10....but it will do 15 smaller ones and shape into round patties.

Heat olive oil over medium heat in pan.  Add patties and cook until golden on both sides, aprox 3-4 m each side.

To make the salsa mix together yogurt, mint, oil and season as desired.

Serve the patties with the yogurt mint salsa and a garden salad.

A yummy meal highly recommended.....

Bon Appetit......Dzintra




20 comments:

Kath said...

I love quinoa, thanks for sharing this recipe. I loved seeing Jo-jo's friends, I miss my job in day services, I loved it so.

Anonymous said...

oh i must give these a try Dzintra and how much fun is everyone having,what a lovely thing for you to do.xx

Sandi said...

Oh Dzintra, how uncanny, I was just reading about quinoa yesterday and was thinking of giving it a try...now after reading your blog i will definitely give it a go...thanks..
Great read by the way..

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a fun day you all had. Lots of smiles all round. I haven't cooked quinoa in ages , thanks for including the recipe, I'll have a go at making them. I love your chefs pose!

Fiona said...

How fun to go and do a demonstration.... I have recently bought some quinoa having never heard of it before (but saw it being used on MKR!) - your recipe sounds great - will have a go and do my first quinoa...
Hugz

Fairy Floss Stitches said...

You do look the part! ..Very celebrity chef like!!
Thanks for the recipe ..I'll give it a try. Xx Lea

Nat Palaskas said...

Everyone seems to enjoy it and the food looks yummy - hugs
Nat

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I am so late....partying a bit much last night for my birthday today! You know how that goes April Girl!!!!!

I LOVE QUINOA. I think this is a must, this recipe because we enjoy meatless dishes quite often! Look at sweet JoJo and the gang....you are angels, every single one of YOU!!!!!!!!! Anita

Sue said...

I love your recipe and by the smiles on your customers faces your cooking tastes yummy too.

Anita said...

Thanks for a yummy looking recipe - will definitely be trying these when I get back into cooking after moving. Good on you too for choosing to cook something healthy in a demonstration!!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning sweet angels - angels indeed are you all, for you shine joy and give love in all that you do! CHEERS DEAR ONE, and I had some bubbles last night!!!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!! Enjoy your day my sweet friend! Anita

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I think I need to try this as well...looks like it was a good day...

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

XOXOXOOX - and I must try those quinoa patties tonight!

Domesblissity said...

These look so good Dzintra. I'm pinning to definitely try later!

Anne xx

Palomasea said...

Me too Anita darling!! :))
You look quite cheffy, I must say, dear Dzintra!! :))
Your presentations are always so gorgeous. Thank you for sharing this...it's right up my alley...I love quinoa and the yogurt and mint sauce...yum!
What fun JoJo and her friends must have had...just fantastic!
Hugs,
- Irina

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh sweet one! Thank you for coming by; you are so welcomed to hop on board and just enjoy the RIDE! LOVE IT! I already have a good 25 people linked so it should be luscious fun. CHEERS TO YOU! Anita

Palomasea said...

Yes, dearest Dzintra...I will let you know as soon as I make them...do you think I could substitute white beans? I have tons of those on hand..
I hope you're having a wonderful day, and I'm so happy to say that warm weather has arrived..right, Anita??
Big hugs to you, sweet friend!!!

Bev C said...

Hello Dzintra,

Great to meet Jojo's friends. The recipe sounds delish, will have to try this one. Now you will need a haircut if you want to look like Matt Moran!!

Enjoy the weekend with your new puppy.

Happy days.
Bev.

Suedio said...

I will definitely have to give these a try . . . Quinoa is on the menu a fair bit in our house! Thanks so much for test cooking and sharing.

Joolz said...

Jojo's day programme looked like lots of fun. I haven't tried Quinoa yet, I keep forgetting to buy some in Woolies. Not sure what hubby would think of the patties though...

An Assisted Living home recently opened in our town (partially funded by Govt and service clubs I think) where 4 young people with disabilities will live together with a house 'mother/assistant'. It is great to see these young people get some independance in their day to day living. They are responsible for cooking, meal planning, shopping, laundry, house work etc. The smiles on their faces says it all.

Cheers - Joolz

Welcome To My World

Hello, my name is Dzintra Ingrid ... have been known as Ingrid and since our Sea Change I have started to use Dzintra ... pronounced without the D ... (but still known as Ingrid, I know, it's confusing ...)

Welcome to my world ... a journal of our Sea Change ... Mum to three wonderful children ... bringing up a daughter with a disability and seeing life through her eyes ... being a new Nanna ... photos ... inspiring quotes ... taking on a cookery course ... the odd recipe ... and trying to get some stitching done amongst all this ...