This blog is all about me......I come here for respite in between caring for JoJo (our Daughter who has Special Needs)......I am addicted to starting new projects......I am becoming a fabric-a-holic... I love to try out recipes... take a beach walk and breathe in that salty blue air......love to have coffee...sip a glass of champagne......read a book......I am Queen of the Armchair and am inspired by all the wonderful blogs out there!!!

Saturday, September 15, 2012

~A Gardener's Journal...and Dinner Out~

~Borders and Bindings for A Gardener's Journal~




A couple of days ago I wrote that I was wondering which border to use for my Gardener's Journal quilt
I had first cut out this blue paisley way back and thought I would use the red for the outer border...
turns out I wasn't quite sure after seeing it together as the blue was quite busy with no defined 'frame'


As it turned out I didn't have enough of the red for the outer border so it will become the inner border
and the backing (which is cream/brown floral) now will be the outer border
I think I am happier with this combination as the outer border balances the stitcheries and seems to carry on the cream
The red as the outer border seemed to take away from the stitching



Not sure now what I'll do with the back
I'm thinking I might piece some of the leftovers together and use some of the cream outer border for the back as I think I will have enough to do that 
Did anyone else do something like that and is there any advice on how to do that as I've never done it before although I have seen it and I quite like the look?



And here are all the blocks together!


After not being able to wet the top of my hand all week (and still not) last night we thought we'd treat ourselves out at Little Restaurant and Bar and have a night off...

A Prawn dish for JoJo and Mr Armchair
 
A little while ago when we there I saw the menu had Gnocchi made with Blue Cheese, Salted Beetroot and walnuts....YUUUUUMMMM
But I couldn't have that as it wasn't gluten free and Gary (Chef and owner) said that if I let him know next time he will make me a gf one

And blow me down it was delicious


Twice cooked Pork Belly with Roasted Pear on Mash......oh soooooo tasty


A Veal dish and salad for Mr Armchair


And Gary also made a gluten free dessert
Yogurt Cloud Cake......this was as fluffy as a cloud and full of passionfruit flavour topped with Pistachios
Absolutely delicious.......thank you so much Gary
We'll be back another time......but you know that don't you!!!!!!


20 comments:

Susan said...

I like the GJ changes. The red is a great choice for the narrow border. Yummy dinner and dessert.

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathy said...

Definitely the red as first thin border, helps the red in the quilt to balance. And the cream border looks good! Funny isn't it, I too am having issues with border fabric, had it all worked out, didn't like it, so went and bought more....will post pics tomorrow to show you!
I have used left over fabric as the backing of a quilt before. Don't think there are any rules, I just try and make the way I join "fatquarterish" sizes of fabric symmetrical so my scrappy/OCD brain can cope...lol
Hope that all makes sense???

Unknown said...

Love the finishes for your quilt it's looking Great...
Hope your hand is mending quickly..
Cheerd

Kath said...

How lovely that Gary went to the trouble of making special dishes for you. Thats what makes a good resturant great.
I face a challenge eating fat free, but so far managed to get something steamed or poached, leaving the sauces and butter for Husband to enjoy :-)

I like the red for the narow border. I'd say anything goes for the back, I saw a quilt where the maker had made strps of squares which she arrnaged in an off set cross, that looked nice.

Fer said...

The quilt looks wonderful, and I agree that the red inner border works best. :-)

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

YOU find the most beautiful restaurants my dear Dzintra! The food always looks so well presented...I imagine that those NIGHTS off are well deserved and much appreciated. Your work is always a wonder to behold sweet friend! Anita

Simone de Klerk said...

You made the perfect coice for the border! Absolutely love it. And oh my, such a wonderful dinner out.

Rachaeldaisy said...

The way you have done the borders is perfect!! It's a great idea to use up leftovers for the back. Just piece them together as normal. Your dinner looks delicious!! Isn't it great the chef is willing to make GF gnocchi, it sounds amazing! I hope your hand has healed up nicely!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Perfect choices for the border.....yummo

Bev C said...

Hello Dzintra,

I agree with everyone else, re the borders, as for the back I think using up what you have sounds like a great idea, then it can be reversible. Those meals look divine.

Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Palomasea said...

All I can say is that your quilt is a beautiful work of art! And I am so glad to hear that your hand is healing well...
What a delectable restaurant! The food is gorgeous, dear Dzintra.
Take care, sweet friend!
I am hoping to do the Donna Hay post this week... :)
Much love,
- Irina

RitaGri said...

Lielisks dārza žurnāls! Ļoti jauki "raksti"- motīvi.

Chookyblue...... said...

I like the red narrow and then then other border......

you always have the best food.............

Jeni said...

What a busy post ..you sound like you have a fun few days
hugs

Jeni said...

What a busy post ..you sound like you have a fun few days
hugs

Tatkis said...

Everything looks in harmony now! This quilt is beautiful :)
And the food - mmmm,yummy!

Hugs,
Tatyana

Nat Palaskas said...

It's a gorgeous quilt Dzintra. It the quilt that talks. This post makes me very hungry after I only had soup for lunch :(
Hugs
Nat

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Dzintra, YOU WOULD LOOK STUNNING in a red gown, with a flute of pink bubbles in one hand, oh dear....what a BEAUTY! Thank you my friend for your visit...it means so much to me! CHEERS! Anita

Palomasea said...

Right after Anita...yippee!!
Dzintra, dear friend...how is your hand??
And the weather is warming up for you, Spring is on the way!
Silly me, I will be cooking from the Winter issue...oh well...winter is on its way to us...hee.
So happy to see your sweet message..
Next post is Donna Hay...wish me luck! :)
Take care, dear Dzintra...
Much love,
- Irina

Welcome To My World

Hello, my name is Dzintra Ingrid ... have been known as Ingrid and since our Sea Change I have started to use Dzintra ... pronounced without the D ... (but still known as Ingrid, I know, it's confusing ...)

Welcome to my world ... a journal of our Sea Change ... Mum to three wonderful children ... bringing up a daughter with a disability and seeing life through her eyes ... being a new Nanna ... photos ... inspiring quotes ... taking on a cookery course ... the odd recipe ... and trying to get some stitching done amongst all this ...