This blog is all about me......I come here for respite in between caring for JoJo (our Daughter who has Special Needs)......I am addicted to starting new projects......I am becoming a fabric-a-holic... I love to try out recipes... take a beach walk and breathe in that salty blue air......love to have coffee...sip a glass of champagne......read a book......I am Queen of the Armchair and am inspired by all the wonderful blogs out there!!!

Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Candle Warning

Yesterday evening I got the shock of my life!  
Lucky I was in my sewing room near a coffee table upstairs outside the bathroom.
I looked out of the doorway and thought it looked a bit bright so I had a look and blow me down I had a little mini fire atop my candle.

It's one off those that house a tee light and then above that in a little bowl you add some wax.
Well somehow wax caught fire!!!!  I just stared at it!!!
Thank goodness the bathroom was there and I poured 2 cups of water on it which put it out.

And oh dear a little shaken about this...especially since my beautiful topper is ruined and it was a birthday gift from Friends in Stitching this year...
Below left is the candle holder......even the remote copped it......and my little phone cover as well is singed! 
The biggest lesson here for me is to keep an eye out when a candle is alight......lucky I was right there

23 comments:

mumasu said...

That's on the not good side of dodgy. It would have shaken me up too but luck you were there so all good in the end. Life's a funny old thing really.

Sandi said...

Thank goodness you are ok, that must of been a shock! Lucky you noticed it happening. It's a shame about the lovely topper getting ruined. Would there be any way of saving part of it?

Fiona said...

oh gosh, thank goodness you were right there.. .what a scare and such a shame about the burnt special topper... the angel on it was looking after you!
Hugz

Nat Palaskas said...

The Angel is keeping an eye on you my dear. Glad you caught it in time phew! Good lesson for us all. Thanks for this post - Have a good day - Hugs
Nat

Bev C said...

Hello Dzintra,

You saved the day, I am so glad that nothing worse happened.
Happy days.
Bev.

shez said...

OMG i am so glad you caught it before it burnt the house down,how scary,it makes me shudder,oh Dzintra i am so glad you are all okay.xx

Fiona Ransley said...

Goodness me what a lucky escape for you all - Possessions can be replaced hun xxxx So glad you are all safe. Hugs - Fee xxxx

Susan said...

So glad you put it out so quickly.......it's a shame your topper was damaged, but you saved it from being much worse.

Cheryll said...

Oh NO!!! But it could have been much worse. Shame about that lovely topper... but better than NO home!
No candles here as hubby was a fire fighter!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Oh my golly! I'm so glad you're okay. It's such a shame about your topper but I'm glad it wasn't worse. Take care, I'm sure the experience has left you shaken!

Fiona @ Dragonfly-Crafts said...

Oh dear, I was very sad to see your little table top and phone case damaged but thankfully all can be replaced.
Lucky it wasn't worse :(

Jo in TAS said...

You're lucky you didn't get burnt, pouring water on hot oil usually results in it erupting and splattering hot oil everywhere! Shame things were damaged but they're replaceable.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Oh My Goodness.....glad you are OK..and you were there...and I am sorry to see your topper but all the love it was made with is still there, xx

Kath said...

Thanks for reminding us of the dangers that can arise from candles. So glad you are OK and it was not worse.
I hope you can salvage some of your topper xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

YES YES YES - always be there when a candle is lit; you never know what fire will do. This element has a mind of its own, I swear! THAT IS WHY....we have switched over to battery candles! Have you seen them my dear? They are super. We have several in our family room that go on automatically every day at the same time. And if we happen to fall asleep by the flicker of their ambiance, SO BE IT, because they are NOT fire-based!

Oh I am so glad you caught this! Be well and be safe! Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

DZINTRA! YOU DID MAKE IT TO MY COMMENT PAGE! I am so happy that your connection finally worked! Embracing you with many hugs and thanks for continuing to try to leave a message. My day with Irina yesterday was SO FABULOUS, and it always is....and always too short!

We are having a heat wave today that calls for something COOL and for a trip to the beach. Enjoy your evening my dear friend. Anita

Lynn said...

That is scary, good thing you caught it! I didn't realize wax could catch fire, that's your public service announcement for the day!

Anita said...

I'm so glad nothing worse came of that!! Phew. Just a couple of days ago I opened my sewing shed door and realised my iron was still on in there!! My iron doesn't turn off. Eekkk.
Cheers, Anita.

DAWNIE said...

Oh dzintra how lucky you were home. Oh that is such a shame your topper caught fire i wonder if iu can try and fix the half that was damaged, you know the words every quilt has a story..... Am so glad you are ok and that more damage wasnt done to your house.

Anne M said...

Goodness gracious Dzintra! That's just awful. I really do hate candles but there's something so nice about them. I will pay extra attention now. Lucky it wasn't anymore serious.

Anne xx

Sarah said...

Oh dear! That could have been SO SO bad! Luckily your spotted it before it was too late! Pity about your runner Dzintra!

Too many eggs said...

Wow what a shame about your table runner. I love candles and have them lit a lot , will need to keep a better eye on them in future

Palomasea said...

Thank God all is ok....wow. What a scare!!!
I am sorry about the lovely table topper, dear Dzintra...
I love candles so much, but I am so absentminded, I cannot risk having them lit.
Like our dear Anita, I am making a switch to flameless...they have such realistic ones these days....
Nothing can replace the magical flicker of a real flame, though.
Please take care, dear friend!!!
Love to you,
- Irina

Welcome To My World

Hello, my name is Dzintra Ingrid ... have been known as Ingrid and since our Sea Change I have started to use Dzintra ... pronounced without the D ... (but still known as Ingrid, I know, it's confusing ...)

Welcome to my world ... a journal of our Sea Change ... Mum to three wonderful children ... bringing up a daughter with a disability and seeing life through her eyes ... being a new Nanna ... photos ... inspiring quotes ... taking on a cookery course ... the odd recipe ... and trying to get some stitching done amongst all this ...