This blog is all about me......I come here for respite in between caring for JoJo (our Daughter who has Special Needs)......I am addicted to starting new projects......I am becoming a fabric-a-holic... I love to try out recipes... take a beach walk and breathe in that salty blue air......love to have coffee...sip a glass of champagne......read a book......I am Queen of the Armchair and am inspired by all the wonderful blogs out there!!!

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

~Cook Up with Donna Hay (19)...new Ice Cream Maker and Stitching Update~


I can't believe I've done it again......I've injured my knee again so have been taking it really easy these last few days......Again I am so thankful that Mr Armchair was able to be around to take care of JoJo (and me) while I rested my leg.  He is back at work today and I'm hobbling around here......


Just as well that last week I did a Cook Up from donna hay magazine Issue 65 Oct/Nov 2012

Irina has joined me and Vicki in doing a Cook Up from donna's magazine

The menu was ~Sticky Black Pepper Pork (with a Cucumber and Bean Sprout Salad) and Basic Lemon Tart~
Recipe for Sticky Black Pepper Pork over here
Recipe for Tart over here



Sticky Black Pepper Pork with Salad of Cucumbers, Bean Sprouts, Mint Leaves and Coriander


Lemon Wedges to serve and some Baked Potatoes in Foil
mmmm, very delicious


Lemon Tart setting 


Sliced with a Mint Leaf from the garden


together with Vanilla Ice Cream made with a new ice cream maker Mr Armchair bought for me


JoJo has dairy issues and I have gluten issues so we had been talking about this for a while and what a surprise it was to finally receive one


I experimented with the ice cream mix and used Almond Milk instead of Cow's Milk 


and Rapadura Sugar instead of Caster Sugar and the result was delicious lending itself to the addition of    coffee which I will add another time

Because the only process that rapadura undergoes is the evaporation of liquid, it retains far more vitamins and minerals than refined white sugar. Specifically, rapadura is high in iron, which is essential to the blood oxygenation. Rapadura is also high in silica, potassium, calcium and magnesium in comparison with other sugar alternatives. 
(source over here)




A lovely soft and mellow colour......


And on the stitching front not a lot happening although I have started a little 10" Zippered Pouch after seeing Susan do a few
Tutorial over here


The fabric is Etchings by Moda
How gorgeous is this.................with Eiffel Tower and all


Beautiful writing


I've cut it out and started but waiting till I can bend my knee a little more at the machine!!
Till next time......Dzintra xo

18 comments:

Sandi said...

Hopefully your knee will be better soon. Your 'cook-up' menu looks absolutely delicious. You are lucky getting a new icecream maker, I can see that it is going to get a lot of use.....

Susan said...

Your cooking looks delicious, and that icecream.......mmmmmm. I adore the fabric you're using for your zipper bag, where did you get it it? It's gorgeous.

Grace said...

Oh my goodness this makes me hungry looking at all the food. I can only manage one new dish every once in a while, you must be a fast cooker.

Anonymous said...

yummy dishes there Dzintra and i love that fabric.xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dearest Dzintra,

OH NO!!!! Oh, these injuries spring up when we least expect them! I pray you get the rest necessary before more of the hustle and bustle of the holiday begins! But I am so sure that your family is around you ready to assist! But the pain my dear....my husband is finally on the mend. But he has to avoid to many stairs or else that is when he starts in. We had a huge snowfall on Sunday an I went out to shovel two feet or so of snow from our driveway. I hurt my back and hip but today, I am just fine! WHEW.....I am not sure how much more this body can take and recover from !

YUM YUM YUM are these recipes! That lemon tart looks so rich and creamy!! Do you like chestnuts? I make a great "cream of" mushroom/chestnut soup but without the cream. I purée half the batch and pour that in with the rest of the chunky part. My goodness...with a bit of fresh thyme, you are in culinary heaven!

I must run off to a teaching job today. Much love and HEALING TO YOU! Anita

Unknown said...

Oh Dear you have been in the wars this year....that
Lemon Tart looked Amazing...
Take Care and Rest Up.
Cheers

RitaGri said...

Veiksmīgu veseļošanos!
Gardas gan pusdienas tu pagatavoji.
Parīzes audums ir debešķīgs!
Rita

Fiona said...

that food looks sensational.... I love lemony things ....
hope your knee heals well ... and soon
Hugz

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE ETCHINGS :) and how yummy does that icecream look......

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

GOOD MORNING SWEET FRIEND! OH yes, we have tons of snow AND more is coming on the weekend! We are going to have a white Christmas, because for a while there, we didn't think we would!

My hip is great now, and Ruben's knee is back to normal! WEIRD.....but I hope with all my heart that your knee gets a lot of rest so you can enjoy a pain-free time this season. You have some grandchildren to enjoy and chase!

My fondest embrace to you my dear, Anita

Palomasea said...

And big get well wishes from me too, dearest Dzintra!
Oh my goodness....it is never a good time to have an injury...and when the really cold weather kicks in here, my knee gives me all sorts of trouble...
I wish you rapid healing, sweet friend...and thank you so much for letting me know of the cook up.
Looks divinely delicious!!!
I am sorry that I'm so behind, but my goal is to get it posted this weekend...
And what gorgeous fabric...
Be well, beautiful Dzintra!!
Much love,
- Irina

Rachaeldaisy said...

I'm sorry to hear your knee is sore again. I love your cooking posts, The lemon makes my mouth water and your icecream sounds extra yummy!! What a great idea to make your own so you can control what ingredients are used. We have a breadmaker and I love knowing that there are no extra preservatives or colours added. Etchings is so a beautiful range, I was so tempted but never got any though seeing yours makes me wish I had. I look forward to seeing what you make with it.

Palomasea said...

Dearest Dzintra, my comments are disappearing once again...so I will try today...
I am so sorry about your knee, sweet friend...my goodness...never a good time for injury, but especially in this busy season...oh, please take care, and may it heal quickly!
This cook-up is mouthwatering!!!
How wonderful to have an ice-cream maker too!
And the fabric is splendid...just beautiful...
Ok, I am planning to cook and post this weekend...finally!!!
Much love to you, and rapid healing!
Hugs,
- Irina

Bev C said...

Hello Dzintra,

You are going to have so much fun with that ice cream maker. Lemon Tart Yum, my favourite.

Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning most precious friend.

Thank you for coming all the way from the other side of the world to sit with me, to weep with us, to rejoice with THEM, who are now in safety, where NO evil can enter. Be well, and know we are always thinking of you. Anita

Palomasea said...

Right near our precious friend here...
Dzintra dear, I would love to make that lemon tart from the next issue!
And the Harissa...the funny thing is...I've never had the real thing...but the addition of cumin gives it that exotic flavor...so good.
Thank you, dear friend, for sharing this virtual meal with me...
It really is so difficult to NOT think of these recent events...
I try to find activities that distract me all the time, otherwise I just weep.
Bless you, beautiful Dzintra!
How is your knee?
I wish you a splendid Christmas!
Much love,
- Irina

Nat Palaskas said...

Totally gorgeous post Dzintra. Love love the ice cream maker. I want one please Santa! And that moda fabric is to die for, I want them as well :(
Have a lovely Christmas and best for the New Year - Hugs Nat

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

Looks very yummy.
Snowing here and -1C outside!
A very Merry Christmas D and a special hello to JoJo.

Susan xxoo

Welcome To My World

Hello, my name is Dzintra Ingrid ... have been known as Ingrid and since our Sea Change I have started to use Dzintra ... pronounced without the D ... (but still known as Ingrid, I know, it's confusing ...)

Welcome to my world ... a journal of our Sea Change ... Mum to three wonderful children ... bringing up a daughter with a disability and seeing life through her eyes ... being a new Nanna ... photos ... inspiring quotes ... taking on a cookery course ... the odd recipe ... and trying to get some stitching done amongst all this ...